Thursday 24 October 2013

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary



After being really spoilt by Kerry and Bryan yesterday they spoilt us even more today! They took us to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which is the largest koala sanctuary in the world, and was voted in the top ten of best zoos.







flying foxes





We got to see a platypus for the first time. It was smaller than I expected (unlike the kangaroos, koalas, wombats and tazmanian devils which were all a lot bigger than I expected). It looked like a crazy cross between a mole, a duck and a seal. It moved really quickly in the water so it was hard to take good pictures. Kerry saved the day with this beauty:











I really liked the platypus and want one as a pet please.



Then came one of my other ‘top ten photos of us in Oz’ WE GOT TO HOLD A KOALA! It was amaazzingg. It really clawed me trying to grab onto my skin, but it was so soft and cute it made up for it. Brian really kindly took a photo of us having our photo taken, which was actually better than the professional one..





this is the 'professional' one, flash is not my friend.




I thought this sign was hilar, I’m not sure why now – it was probably a koala high.




This is a photo of a wombat, they really are the most ugly things in the world:

We got to see and touch red kangaroos for the first time ever, they are a lot softer than grey kangaroos so I like them more.





Tanbay feels really awkward in this photo:









I like his fake pat here


lizards love me



This is a golden possum:



This lady had a bird in her hand so we got a picture taken with her:


hahahahah 

It was also the first time that we’d seen a dingo:


hey






We went to a birds of prey show. I’ve been dragged to a lot of these shows by an unnamed male parent (ha I still love you) so I wasn’t that bothered about going, but Tanbay had never been to one and was very excited about it. He liked it loads. An owl ate an entire mouse which was great.








happy weasel



Next we went to the sheep show, if we’d been on our own we might not have bothered going to it, but I’m so glad we did! It was so interesting and amazing the way the dog can control the sheep. The dog was a kelpie which is a cross between an English sheep dog (to get the sheep controlling gene) and an Australian dingo (to get the ‘copes with Australian climate’ gene), again my mind was blown, that’s so logical I love it.









We watched the guy shear one of the sheep. He had a special harness for his back which we (stupidly) thought was for the sheep. It didn’t take him that long to shear it and you can get about $2.50 for the skin.





This sign is fantastic. It says London is 16532km away and berlin is 15692 km!


It was definitely one of our favourite days in Queensland, and Australia in general really. We’re so grateful that Kerry and Brian took us there, they really are wonderful people.