Saturday 4 January 2014

A Goanna Tried to Break in

Today I was outside when I heard a noise which sounded like a cat/rat scuffling around the leaves, I turned towards it and saw a goanna! She was trying to sneak through the cat flap. She noticed me and stood really really still so I couldn't see her, but I could still see her so I moved a little closer and she ran off up a tree!


Goanna's are really big lizards which are also called Monitor Lizards. We've seen one or two in a wildlife park and this one wasn't anywhere near as big, but was still the biggest wild lizard I've ever seen. She was as big as a cat with a much much longer tail.


We met a guy on Kangaroo Island who had a goanna in his garden. He said that whilst they were always trying to get into the chicken (chook) house, they were definitely an asset to the house as they kept away the snakes. 

It was very very sticky here today (it was only 32 degrees but the humidity was 52%) so we think she was trying to cool down.