Thursday 2 January 2014

WORST New Year's Day

Before you read this first read about our BEST New Year's Eve it sets the scene

So we'd just started dancing and we'd met some great new German friends, we decided to go clubbing together. Literally as soon as we left the sand and stepped onto the pavement Tanbay slipped and his wrist puffed up! I didn't even see it, the Germans pointed it out to me.. Luckily he slipped right next to the paramedic van who strapped it up and called an ambulance.

The ambulance didn't want to take me with them, but luckily the decided that they would (I'm so charming). They told us he'd broken his wrist and Tanbay refused point blank to take any pain medication because he's so macho (he's scared of needles.)

Saying that though he was SO brave, he didn't cry or scream or anything!

There were people a lot worse off than Tbay in A and E. One guy had run in front of the car and everyone seemed to be unconscious and bleeding from the head.

The guys in A and E were pretty rude.. I asked if they needed any information (allergies, the fact he'd broken his left arm a few years before  etc) and this cow said 'WELL I'M SORRY WHAT KIND OF MEDICAL DEGREE DO YOU HAVE'.

I get that they don't want to be working on New Year's Eve, so don't be a nurse.. we didn't want to be there either and so we didn't choose it as a career. Really though I was probably being annoying, and the rest of the staff after this were great.


So they popped his hand back in, gave him a cast, a whole load of morphine and a tetanus shot. Tanbay became very funny 'babe what happened to my arm, babe I went on this big trip I went everywhere, what happened to my arm? I saw the sky and the sea and I went surfing, but what happened to my arm?' lmao.

He then had two really nice nurses, an Irish guy and a German lady.

Anyway to cut a long story short Tanbay spent 36 hours or so in the hospital and they finally let him out!

He had a pretty fancy room:





He also had a really really nice New Zealand nurse called Wendy, she really gave new meaning to the term 'goes the extra mile' and proves that when nurses say 'oh yes I'll just check that and come straight back' that they actually can do that. 

We have to go back to the hospital next week to check it hasn't slipped, and then back again a week later to get a plaster cast and then 4 weeks after that to get it off. It's kind of inconvenient because next week we'll be in Alstonville, NSW and the week after that we'll be in Newcastle/ Sydney.. Also we can't go surfing again for a while!

But essentially I am very grateful that Tanbay didn't die/ loose the arm. No mater how bad things are they can always be so much worse! 


Apparently it was their busiest New Year's eve on record! http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/