Wednesday 18 September 2013

Spiders in South Australia

The house we are living in is on a hill next to a reserve, so we have been seeing lots of nature:

Cockatoos


Giant ants 

Parrots (apples)


Weird stick creature

 Cocktoos again
 crazy caterpillar



 even koalas

awful picture of a kookaburra from my phone 


 But all those things were cute/beautiful, I then found this under the window sill outside:




Now I've never been scared of spiders, I think that's a silly nurture habit which you get from watching your mum/dad scream at a spider. However, this one is a black house spider, it's poisonous, if you're bitten you get heavy sweating, muscular pains, vomiting, headaches and giddiness.  Kind of freaky.

A few days later Tanbay called me into the kitchen to see this:


This is a huntsman spider, they can give a painful bite but aren't poisonous. Despite that it freaked me out way more than the black house spider, I dunno if it was because it was inside or because it was bigger. I acted like a massive girl and Tanbay really stepped up and despite his real life long lived phobia he caught it and got it out!! Go Weasel!!!